Gurara waterfall is one of the few tourist attractions I have been to in Nigeria. The sister’s guild at my church organized this excursion and I’m glad I participated.
We all met at the Church and the bus took off at about 11am. The road trip from Maitama, Abuja to Gurara fall was about an hour despite the fact that the driver missed his way and had to re-route.
We spotted the famous Zuma rock on our way there.
As soon as we arrived, we paid 500 Naira each and had a tour guide assigned to us. He first took us to a spot where we could get a clear view of the waterfall from the top.
Then he took us down a steep, rocky and very long path that led us to the waterfall.
The waterfall was beautiful. We were all excited took loads of pictures. 😀
This trip to Gurara waterfall was in October 2015! but I realized that a public holiday is just around the corner (in Nigeria) and I think this will be the best time to visit the beautiful waterfall. Plus the waterfall is likely to be clean and at it’s peak due to the raining season.
Here are some tips for maximum fun
1. Get ready for a fitness walk! the trail to the waterfall is long, rocky and steep. It requires some level of physical activity. you should be sweating by the time you are done!
2. It is the perfect spot for a picnic. Go “picnic – ready”. take food, drinks and maybe a picnic blanket/mat along with you.
3. The more, the merrier. In my opinion, this place is better enjoyed when you are with a group of friends (5 and above). This also applies for security reasons.
4. Picture perfect scenes! Take your phone, power banks, camera, extra battery etc to take loads of mind blowing pictures. The memory will be worth it.
5. I wouldn’t recommend anyone going into the water for what ever reason but if you must, ask the guide to show you a safe and shallow area.
Has anyone else been to Gurara falls? please share your thoughts and some tips below.