In my last post where I talked about how I started the Gingerlie Lifestyle Blog, I did hint that I had finally written an extremely easy guide to help beginners start their blog so here I am, sharing 4 things you need to set up your lifestyle blog.
I’m so happy I finally get to share these steps because I have gotten several questions about it. I tried my best to make it as simple as possible and I hope you know that I’m not an IT professional. I have only done this once (when I was setting up my own blog) through trial and error… But I will share the basic steps that worked. Don’t expect to know it all at once because over the years a lot has changed – and things will keep changing. There are new tools you will need to learn to help grow and maintain your blog but right now I have listed out the very basic things you need to set up the website. Leave a comment below if you still have questions after reading this.
Before I go into the technical bit I think its important that I share some key tips for a successful lifestyle blog:
1. Find your voice and be yourself: Most part of my blogging journey has been me trying really hard to be perfect which isn’t a completely bad thing if you are striving for excellence. But while putting your best foot forward, you need to be yourself to connect with your own audience. Not everybody is your target audience and you need to be fine with that. of course theres the business angle of it where you need to figure out how to reach enough people and drive traffic but that should not stop you from being authentic.
Finding your voice also means choosing your niche, when choosing your niche you need to consider your passion and profit. When I started mine, I didn’t think I would be able to make any profit from it because I did not know any lifestyle blogger back then, I had only seen Nigerian gossip blogs – like Linda Ikeji’s blog make profit. But now things are a lot different so when starting out, find a “problem” you think you can solve. Your blog needs to be giving people answers they need. So Identify what questions people are asking especially in your area of interest. Don’t worry about that specific niche being saturated, there’s enough room for all, trust me.
2. Be consistent: Till this very moment, I need to be honest with you, I haven’t been as consistent as I would love to. But it’s a work in progress. You need to set the right structures in place and plan to succeed at it. For me I aim at putting out a new post every Sunday. Initially I tried uploading every Friday which worked for a while but right now Sundays work better for me. If you can put up a new post every single day of the week that will be awesome! but find what works for you and stick to it. Having an editorial calendar will really help you.
3. Quality over quantity: It’s not enough to post consistently but you need to put out quality content. Don’t post just to post. Avoid plagiarism or copying other peoples content. Most importantly pay attention to your data. Use google analytics and other tools to understand your audience better so that you can plan when to upload your post’s and what type of content they prefer.
4. Promote your posts: You need to get familiar with email marketing and other tools to promote your posts. Don’t hesitate to leverage on social media platforms ( i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. ) to build traffic.
and most importantly, connect with your readers, sometimes it’s easy to forget it’s real humans that read your blog so try and find ways to build a relationship with them, get to know them while they get to know you…
HERE ARE THE 4 STEPS TO SET UP YOUR BLOG
1. Register your domain name I recommend Whogohost
2. Get a hosting plan I also recommend Whogohost
3. Download the blogging platform, just like an app. I would recommend WordPress it is user friendly.
4. Get a great theme and set it up. You can get unique premium themes from Envato
and you are good to go!
Whogohost customer service can guide you on step one and two and even 3
I strongly believe I have covered everything in this post, If you still have more questions do leave a comment below or send me a DM on Instagram @gingerlie_lifestyle_blog